Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sharing and Oversharing

Blogging again has been a wonderful thing. Forcing myself to write something every day is an interesting experience, and it's definitely been keeping me on my toes and forced me to adhere to my own self imposed schedule.

That being said, there are some topics that I'd like to type about that I'm not sure I will. It's a question of "how much is too much" when blogging. As I've said in previous entries, I'm generally a private person by nature, there's a lot I don't even talk about to friends, so when trying to decide what to say on a blog, I stay pretty general in topic nature.

I've been thinking of starting an entirely separate page or even blog to this to post some of the topics that I think of in the run of a day. The reasoning behind that is to add an amount of anonymity to the postings, because it's a well known fact that anonymously, people are much more open and honest with what they'll talk about. There's a freedom that comes with the anonymity that can't be enjoyed on a blog that's linked to my Google+ account.

There are a lot of things in my head that I don't say, probably never will say to anyone, ever. We all have thoughts that we don't want to share and we know that we shouldn't share with anyone, things that we know we need to keep to ourselves. The other side of that coin is that the Internet gives us an unprecedented means to share whatever we want, however we want and the temptation to do that is incredibly strong.  So that temptation is the reason for wanting to type it out.

But my own nature fights against that, I like to keep things quiet, I especially don't like to write things down where others, who don't need to know these things, might find them. But I also have a side of me that wants to write and share and it's at war with my private side. It leads to a lot of internal conflict and confusion. Now if I do undertake this idea, I won't announce it here or anywhere. This is the only mention of it that I will make that I'm considering setting something up.

So yeah, that's what in my head today, that's what has been a niggling sensation at the back of my head for a few weeks now, since I started blogging again. Maybe I will act on it, maybe I won't, at least I've got the idea out here and I can look back on this entry and add to my own confusion because there isn't really a decision in here one way or the other on what I want to do.

Confused yet? So am I.

Later

Steve

No comments: