Monday, September 03, 2012

Working like a dog

So another night with not much on my mind to turn into a post. Sometimes there are things floating around in my brain, sometimes there aren't. Mostly it's because over the past week and a bit, I've been working flat out. The Ferengi Rules of Acquisition say that; "No good deed ever goes unpunished" and it's holding true.

There are three of us that work overnights, two on a night and our schedules are set out so that we cover each other on when one of us has a night off. Now one of us is on vacation, not usually a big deal, one of the day staff can be pressed into action for a shift or two to cover things off. But in the last two weeks things went a little awry with that plan. One of the day staff went on vacation for three weeks at the same time one of the other night staff went on vacation. Not a big deal really, things could still work out, but then one of the day staff got fired. That left us short handed.

I was asked if I'd mind helping out since we were now short staffed and me being me I said sure I'll help in any way that I can. I figured I'd pickup a shift or so and make a couple of extra bucks. Not quite how things have worked out. The higher ups seemed to figure that I was volunteering to work on all my days off, so I've been working now since August 24th and I'll be working straight till September 11th. Granted the overtime shifts on what would be my days off are only four hours, but I work overnight, so getting off at 4am I have nothing to do, nowhere to go but home and no one to hang out with like I would on a normal day off.

Now I don't mind working, I never have. Hell when I worked in a call centre, I did a month straight of sixteen hour days and it didn't phase me, but I always had my days off and I kept them. It gives a chance to recharge, mentally more than anything since the job isn't physically demanding. I'm not even getting my recharge time right now and it's starting to wear on me a bit, I'm starting to feel a bit rundown. My own fault really, I volunteered, but at the same time I can't help but feel that because of my good nature I'm being taken advantage of just a little.

The payoff will be the paycheque, it'll have sixteen hours of overtime plus five hours of time and a half for the Labour Day weekend. That'll cover my trip at the end of the month.

Anyway, off to work.

Later

Steve

No comments: