Friday, September 06, 2013

Municipal Election

Another case of - this was going to be a Facebook status but it turned into a rant - instead it's a blog entry.

So reading articles this week on the upcoming municipal election, I'm noticing a trend here. The most common questions are, of course; "Where do you stand on X-issue?"

Most of the answers I've read from the Mayoral candidates have gone like this;

Doc O'Keefe - Well crafted answer, citing the issue and containing political rhetoric without actually giving an answer other than "that certainly is important."

Sheilagh O'Leary - Well crafted answer, citing the issue and containing political rhetoric without actually giving an answer other than "that certainly is important."

Geoff Chaulk - Read my blog.  (I'm serious, read here)

The first two are answers most of us have come to expect from politicians of any level, standard fare where you might glean some insight into the person and their platform.

The third, personally makes me not care about the candidate. If you can't be bothered to take the time and answer an interview question, what kind of Mayor are you going to make?

**fictional, post-election council meeting with Chaulk as Mayor**

Random Councillor - "Your worship we have a question... random civic issue."

Chaulk - "Read my blog."

Random Councillor - "But your worship..."

Chaulk - "I said, read my blog."

**End of fictional account**

Seriously, is he going to give that same answer in any debates? The interviews are one way to get to know the candidates, seeing the answer of "read my blog" just comes off as dismissive to the voters.

Personally, the Mayor's race seems like a two horse competition.

- Later

No comments: