Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Hi Ho! Hi Ho! To NaNo I will go

So last year I tried the NaNoWriMo challenge for the first time. It went pretty good for the first 8 days of November, then came my birthday. After a night or two of celebrations I fell behind on my writing and my word count and I never caught up again. Overall I loved the challenge and I saved my work so that I can come back to it later. I never finished NaNoWriMo but I enjoyed the challenge and the work that I did.


Now it's October 30th and NaNoWriMo 2013 is only 2 days away. I've decided to try to do it again. 50,000 words in 30 days, whether as a novel it makes sense or not. That's half the fun, just writing for writing's sake, to get something, anything down on paper or in a word doc as the case may be. Last year I got to 13,497 words, that's the most I've ever done for one piece of work and it's a pretty decent story that I do have to finish. This year though, I'm going to try something new. I'm not doing a traditional story and it won't have anything to do with Vampires, Werewolves or the Supernatural in any way. Strange for me I know, but hey, can't be afraid to try something new.

You might recall that last winter I made a series of posts and Facebook statuses about the storms we had, in the style of a secretive megalomaniac who was using his organization to build a weather control machine. Those posts just happened so fast and flowed so well when I wrote them that it hardly seemed like work at all to do them up. So that character is the basis for my new idea, along with the style of the posts.

World Domination & You: A Beginner's Guide For Aspiring Super Villains.

Basically a how to instruction manual for would be evil doers. I've already got basic chapter names and a layout in mind and I can't wait to get started on Nov. 1st.

Lesson learned from last year, for the first 8 days I'm going to push myself to write more than the daily goal of 1667 words. I'm going to Halifax this year for my birthday and for Hal-Con so I already know that for November 9th & 10th I'm not going to be doing any writing. I'll kick it up to a 3 day leeway just to be sure so that means that I need to write roughly 2200 words a day for the first 8 days to build up that padding. Given the topic and the ease that I had writing those storm rants in the first place, I don't think it'll be a problem. I am really looking forward to this.

In addition, like last year I'm going to make a blog entry a day to keep track of updates and my progress on the project. See if that might be the kick in the ass I need to keep going and not drop the ball again like I did last year. I don't know if I'll make 50,000 words but I'm going to do my best, one day at a time. If nothing else, I will surpass the 13,497 words that I wrote last year.

That's about it for now, all that's left is to channel my inner Super Villain and get started!

- Later

No comments: