Monday, February 02, 2015

Cards Against Humanity

I know I'm technically late to the party, cause this game has been around for a few years now, but I've been redeveloping an interest in card based games over the past year and I finally picked this gem up.

I'd seen Cards Against Humanity mentioned on various sites and I'd looked it up and done the research to see what it was all about. The more I read, the more I liked it, and yes, I can be a 'horrible person' as the game description indicates. Finally I watched some YouTube videos of people playing the game and I was hooked. This had to be mine.

I looked around locally here in St. John's and discovered that the game is almost impossible to get locally. Two of my favourite stores, Timemasters & Downtown Comics could get the game brought in, but unless you had it held in reserve, you weren't getting a copy. It sells out that quickly. I actually picked up the First Expansion first, since it was the only copy left at Downtown Comics and I decided to get it since I was there.

Before buying the core set, round about November, I was checking out their website cardsagainsthumanity.com and found out that the game could be printed for free to check it out, So I did. I downloaded the file and headed to my local Staples, where they told me that they couldn't print the game for me because of the content, but I could use the photocopy centre to do it myself. The copier/printer wouldn't do it, so I bought the card stock I needed and then printed it elsewhere.

The first run through was awesome, I played with a few friends and we had a blast. The combinations of cards ranged from funny to bizarre and back again. The cards you can print off come out about 1" x 1" and are a bit of a pain to play, but since they're only to get a feel for the game and they're free, that's a hollow complaint. If anything, playing with the homemade printed set made me want to buy the core set as soon as I could.

Fast forward to Christmas 2014 and I got my bonus from my work and lo and behold, it was almost the exact amount that the core set cost locally, roughly $50.00 with the retail markup. I got the set because despite the markup I like to by local when I can, and again played with a few friends and had an awesome time.

Needless to say I was hooked and I wanted more, not just more, I wanted all of Cards Against Humanity that's available. So I took some holiday money and did just that. From their website, I ordered the 2nd Expansion, 3rd Expansion, 4th Expansion, 5th Expansion, The 90s Nostalgia Pack and of course, to keep it all organized, The Bigger Blacker Box. I'm missing the 2012 & 2013 Holiday packs but I will be picking them up soon. For now, I have more than enough cards (who am I kidding, there's never enough for this game.

Eight of us played last weekend and I first used only the white cards from the five expansions and we quickly needed to add in the core game. Many laughs were had, some people discovered how horrible they truly can be, and most importantly, we didn't take things seriously at all and just had an incredible amount of fun playing a ridiculous game.

That being said, I've been doing video reviews of my Doctor Who collectibles, so I figured, why not do an unboxing and overview of Cards Against Humanity, so here it is.


No comments: